CES, also known as Consumer Electronics Show, is a yearly trade show conducted and organized by the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). The event happens every year in January at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Nevada, USA. The event typically hosts various new tech gadgets (including AI Gadgets ) for tech-savvy people. This is a platform where the top global brands take part to do business and make liaisons with new partners. The event focuses on the sharpest innovators who come up with marvelous creations.
CES hosts various companies that include manufacturers, developers, and vendors of consumer tech hardware, content, technology delivery systems, and many more. It also includes a conference program where the top business leaders of the world share their ideas on issues related to technology.
What is the History of CES?
The first CES was held in the month of June in 1967 in New York City. It was a subsidiary of the Chicago Music Show, which, until then, was doing the work of showcasing consumer electronics. There were about 17,500 people who attended the event, and over 100 companies participated then. The kickoff speaker at that time was Motorola chairman Bob Galvin. Between 1978 to 1994, CES was held twice a year – 1st in January and 2nd in June. The 1st event (Winter Consumer Electronics Show) was held in Las Vegas, and the 2nd event (Summer Consumer Electronics Show) was held in Chicago. The event went on to be conducted successfully thereafter.
Some of the top innovative products launched at CES so far
- Videocassette Recorder (VCR), 1970
- Laserdisc Player, 1974
- Camcorder and Compact Disc Player, 1981
- Digital Audio Technology, 1990
- Compact Disc – Interactive, 1991
- Digital Satellite System (DSS), 1994
- Digital Versatile Disk (DVD), 1996
- High Definition Television (HDTV), 1998
- Hard-disc VCR (PVR), 1999
- Satellite Radio, 2000
- Microsoft Xbox and Plasma TV, 2001
- Home Media Server, 2002
- Blu-Ray DVD and HDTV PVR, 2003
- HD Radio, 2004
- IP TV, 2005
- The convergence of content and technology, 2007
- OLED TV, 2008
- 3D HDTV, 2009
- Tablets, Netbooks and Android Devices, 2010
- Connected TV, Smart Appliances, Android Honeycomb, Ford’s Electric Focus, Motorola Atrix, Microsoft Avatar Kinect, 2011
- Ultrabooks, 3D OLED, Android 4.0 Tablets, 2012
- Ultra HDTV, Flexible OLED, Driverless Car Technology, 2013
- 3D Printers, Sensor Technology, Curved UHD, Wearable Technologies, 2014
- 4K UHD, Virtual Reality, Unmanned Systems, 2015
Tech Categories which find a place at every at CES event
Below mentioned are the various categories which showcase various tech gadgets and AI gadgets and technologies in the CES event.
- 3D Printing
- Artificial Intelligence
- Audio/High-End/High Performance
- Cloud Services
- Computer Hardware
- Content and Streaming Services
- Cyber Security and Privacy
- Digital Health
- Digital Imaging/Photography
- Lifestyle (Family, Beauty, Pet)
- Mobile Payments/Digital Finance/E-Commerce
- Public Policy/Government
- Resilience and Sustainability
- Sensors and Biometrics
- Smart Cities
- Smart Home
- Software and Apps
- Space Technology
- Sports Technology and Esports
- Travel and Tourism
- Vehicle Technology
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality
- Wireless Devices
- Wireless Services
- Other Consumer Technology
The 53rd CES held in Las Vegas, Nevada, between January 7–10, 2020, showcasing a variety of AI gadgets. Apple Inc. participated for the first time at CES in 1992. CES Asia 2020 was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The CES 2020 witnessed attendees from various spheres of the tech industry, vendors, and media, totaling 171,268 people.
Automotive was the theme of CES 2020 with the focus on innovative electric vehicles, Infotainment, Telematics, AI, and Ridesharing. Major OEMs are now using a platform like CES to launch and showcase new automotive technologies for the first time. Major suppliers and manufacturers to the automotive industry, including electronics and AI gadgets are increasingly participating at CES.
New Launches at CES 2020
At the CES 2020, a large number of companies dealing with autonomous (self-driven) technology were present. Mercedes came up with their Vision AVTR concept car tailor-made for the future, which drew inspiration from the movie Avatar. Sony gave tech lovers a surprise by launching their Sony technologies for sensors and infotainment in the concept car segment.
A range of the electric vehicles which are showcased at CES 2020 will enter into the production phase in the next couple of years. Apart from next-generation automobiles, various AI-powered Gadgets are also launched. Let’s take a look at them below:
- Amazfit T-Rex and Bip S Smartwatch Launched by Huami
- Amazfit PowerBuds and ZenBuds by Huami
- Gait Enhancing and Motivating System (GEMS) launched by Samsung
- Invisible Keyboard by Samsung
- Nreal – Nebula: Mixed Reality smart glasses launched by Nreal
- Oral-B iO toothbrush
- Perso: AI – powered home care system from L’Oréal
- TicPods 2 launched by Mobvoi
If you want to know about CES 2020 in detail, click here on the PDF Link and get all the information.
Due to the growing concerns due to COVID-19, CES 2021 will be completely digital. CES 2021 will continue its efforts to engage with global brands by launching various tech products and redefine the future prospect of the tech sector. CES 2021 will come up with a high-quality personalized experience:
- Keynotes and conferences – Now, there will be a front-row seat for groundbreaking announcements and thoughts from Global tech online.
- Product showcase – With this digitization of the CES show floor, one can access products and services according to your business interests and business. There will be dynamic live product showcases or demos.
- Meetings and networking – You’ll be able to engage and discuss with the brands, thought leaders, and business leaders completely live!
CES 2022 is scheduled to happen as usual in Las Vegas.
So, you can see that the Consumer Electronics Show or popularly known as CES is a platform where various companies and vendors and innovators present their wonderful gadgets and technologies. Artificial Intelligence is one of the sections which finds a prominent place in this event. Each year numerous AI gadgets are showcased. If you are a lover of some awesome technologies, do follow our series of AI Gadgets, which are launched at CES.
Top 10 AI-Powered Gadgets From CES 2020 – World’s Biggest Tech Show